Monday 12 October 2009

The IV gods.....

are not smiling favourably upon me this week. My long line from Friday packed up yesterday afternoon. I am not surprised as it was leaking a bit when I infused my drugs the night before. So I am on my way (and running late) to the hospital to have it replaced. And as I sit on the bus, I think that I must have not suffered enough, and thus have  not offered enough "sacrifices" to the IV gods, and this is why my long line stopped working so quickly. Basically,  I reckon Friday was just too easy, so I am paying the price for it now. 

I wonder what could have happened differently on Friday. I wonder if I had stayed in the hospital longer or been stuck more times or had a bigger, blacker, more painful bruise than the big black one I have from the the spot where the line was put in...if I had just suffered a little more than I did and thus made more "sacrafices", would this have been enough for the gods?  Would they be happy and would my line still be working?  I'll never know. But as I get off the bus, a small part of me hopes that I will stub my toe really badly or someone will be unnecessarily rude to me, and that maybe this lit bit of suffering will be a sufficient sacrifice for the gods. And then maybe, just maybe, the new line that gets put in will work longer than a day and a half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment