Saturday 31 October 2009

I'm going as a human pin cushion for Halloween, how bout you?

I was released from hospital yesterday to do IVs at home for another four days. Needless to say I was overjoyed to come home. This morning when I woke up there was no drilling, no beeping, and nobody busting into my room. Pure bliss.

And my day was going along just fine until I went to do my afternoon IVs. I hooked myself up to my drip, and within in no time, my arm began to swell at my IV site and the drip got slower and slower until it wasn't dripping at all. I had a mini meltdown and then dragged myself to back up the hospital. I was upset on the bus and wondered if the other passengers thought I was going as a depressed girl for Halloween.

I waited for a bit when I got to hospital and then the doctor came to put my drip in. I knew my vein options were limited, so I gave him permission to use the big vein on the inside of my right wrist, knowing full well that it can be a terribly inconvenient and painful place for an IV. He got it the first time and was pleased the hadn't had to stick me seven times as he had done earlier in the week. He taped me all up and then removed the cap so he could add an extension to the cannula. After he removed the cap and before he could twist on the extension, I began to bleed. The blood trickled under the fresh, clear tape dressing covering the cannula and I momentarily wished I had Halloween plans - the bloody site would have made for a really good Halloween prosthetic. I imagined I was at a party and heard guests saying, "Wow, looks so real!"

I gave myself some of my meds and then had a nurse bandage my hand and wrist. I left and got back on the bus and now am at home. I am doing my best not to use my right hand so as not to irritate the line in my wrist. It kinda looks like my right hand dressed up as a mummy for the holiday. But it's a really crap costume and I am not impressed.You wouldn't be impressed either. Trust me.

So right hand mummy costume is not my thing, guess I will just stick with being a human pin cushion on this night, All Hallows' Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment