Monday 28 December 2009

Tis the season of giving

Tis the season of giving, and though Hanukkah and Christmas have past,  I hope there is still some giving spirit left in you, because I want to ask you for something, or rather, to do something. I want to ask you and your loved ones to sign up to be an organ donor - if you do in fact want to be one and you have not already signed up.

This may seem like an odd post posted at an odd time, but it's not. See, today I learned that Jess Wales, a lady with CF, got a new pair of lungs in the early hours of this morning in a hospital just a few miles from my flat.  I do not personally know Jess, but I have been following her story for a while now and hearing this good news has made me excited and thoughtful and fidgety. I am excited for her and all the great things that can now and will hopefully happen for in her the future. I am thoughtful because somewhere a family is mourning the loss of a loved one, a person kind enough to give someone else a chance at life upon losing his or hers.  And I am fidgety because I  want to do something to help raise awareness - awareness about organ donation, lack thereof  and a fantastic charity called Live Life Then Give Life.

You should have a look at their site, but here are a few quick facts for you if you don't have time:

  • You are more likely to need a transplant than to become a donor.
  • Over 8000 people are currently waiting for a transplant.
  • Less than 3000 transplants are carried out each year.
  • Last year, over 1000 people died whilst waiting for a transplant.

Jess waited 4 years for a transplant. 4 years. I hope you will take a moment to think about what it must be like to wait for something something as basic as a deep breath for 4 years. Then think about the fact that you are more likely to need a transplant then you are to become a donor.  Then read that last fact again.  Then think about this:  90% of the population support organ donation, only 25% are on the organ donor register-->.


So this holiday season, do something generous and sign up to the donor registry here.  It is a great way to show goodwill towards your fellow man and woman and it's free (a bonus in these trying times!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment