Monday 21 December 2009

Lovely Liam

Last night my best friend welcomed her first baby and I could not be more excited! Liam Michael Sudderth is a real looker (future stud muffin, no doubt) and the proud owner of two beautiful parents, Britt and Andrew. Congratulations, Liam! Take good care of them.

Liam's arrival has stirred up a lot of emotions in me and has got me thinking.  For starters, Britt and I have been friends since we were little girls and I keep wondering when in the heck we got old enough to be havin' babies. The little girl in me wants to tell the little girl in Britt that I know where babies come from and so I know she has been up to some naughtiness.  Luckily the gown up bit of me prevails, though, and I don't need to say this.

So 10-hour-old Liam has got the grown up in me mulling over some things.  First and foremost, I am really happy for Britt and Andrew.  His arrival has been eagerly anticipated and Britt and Andrew will be great parents.  And the other thing I am thinking - I am so pleased I am here to know of Liam's arrival and I hope I am around for many more years so I can can spoil him rotten.

You see, when I was born the median life expectancy for a person with CF was 18. Thanks to the amazing advances in CF care, this number is now 37 and getting better every year. Liam's arrival has me feeling very thankful that I am long past 18 and am here to know of his existence. But his arrival also has me wanting more. I want to be around to attend his wedding so Britt and and I can have a good laugh about the fact that she is a mother in law and when did we get old enough for that to happen! And  seeing as I don't want Liam to be a child groom, I will keep hoping that the advances in CF care keep coming.




1 comment: