Tuesday 3 November 2009

28 Days Later

28 days ago I entered hospital and began IV antibiotics. 28 days later I am pleased to report that this little episode in my life hopefully has come to an end. It's been a bumpy 28 days, but at least I didn't wake up to find Britain decimated by a virus and full of zombies, unlike the poor chap in that movie.  It has been a rough ride mentally and physically, so I am trying to focus on the positives.  Thus, I think it is positively great that I am not dead, undead, or surviving in a city filed with the undead.  Having said that, between the bruising, the awkward and zombie like way I have been holding my arms out (to protect my IV line), the ashen face, the under eye circles and generally poor demeanor, I think it is safe to say that if I came across the undead,  they would likely take me for one of their own.

But enough zombie talk.  I am feeling better chest infection wise. However, and very annoyingly,  my asthma is now playing up and refusing to give up the ghost.  Oh, for those who don't know, I have really nasty asthma on top of CF - a real double whammy!  I am not surprised though because my asthma is always terrible when the weather changes and the weather in London has been all over the place as of late.  I am like one of those old women who can tell it is gonna rain cause her bones hurt.  But instead of achey bones, I get really twitchy airways.  I am a walking human barometer!  So the docs tripled my normal dose of steroids last week but so far it hasn't helped.  Today at my follow up appointment,  I told the doc this and because my airways are still feeling so tight,  we both agreed that doing a spirometry would be pointless.  So he made some changes to my asthma meds and hopefully they will break this cycle soon.  And if the meds don't help, then hopefully a change of scenery and weather will.

And it just so happens that I am headed for the States on Thursday,  so that's lucky.



1 comment: